Indian Tandoori Pomfret
– 1 whole fish, 1 tbsp of garam masala, 3 tbsp cooking oil
To be ground into paste:
– 1 ½ inch piece ginger
– ½ tsp cumin seeds
– 8 cloves of garlic
– 1 tbsp red chilli powder
– 2 inch cube of green papaya
– 2 lemons juice
– 1 tsp haldi powder
– salt to taste
– Make four slits on either side of the fish with a sharp knife.
– Apply the ground paste all over including the inside of the stomach.
– Marinate this mixture for 8 hours.
– Pierce the fish length wise with a skewer and cook in a tandoor or on a charcoal barbecue.
– However if these methods of cooking are not available then cook under a grill or bake in the oven.
– Turn the fish every 10 minutes and cook until light brown.
– Heat the oil and brush on the fish with a pastry brush while cooking.
– When the fish is almost cooked sprinkle with garam masala and cook till it turns golden brown.
– Serve with slices of lemon, naan and mint chutney.